Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Black Volleyball Shoes

The kingdom Khan in the realm of deception



sad thing is that it should not surprise us: The ruins of the birthplace of the Mayan culture are in danger of destruction from looting, and El Mirador, which was the largest city of the Maya Kan-in the kingdom, "back in 600 BC is coming to a point of irreversible destruction.

Fortunately I was able to visit the kingdom Khan in 2005 and living there, along with the best company, an extraordinary adventure. In December of that year we flew to Flores, Petén, and there we were waiting for two vehicles to us into the jungle to the village of Carmelita where breakfast.

At the end of food, a team of local-phone composed Darwin, Gladys Cook, an assistant and two mules, we had prepared the train of 12 mules to take us two and a half days to El Mirador. And grabbed road. We

muddy up inside the ears, sleep in a camp tappers and another snake smelled of urine. We saw jaguar tracks and hear these magnificent cats overnight. We ate the best fried chicken I've tasted in my life. Saw the carcass of a mule that was attacked by bees and my nephew got a tarantula in his shoe. In the one night we saw the sky, this was so we could not identify star constellations. One night we slept between water and a downpour. The wine is not lacking for dinner, and felt delicious pancakes for breakfast. Twice I fell off the mule because the saddle was not tight. Stabbed lower in the water came up to her waist, and passed on mud, walking on it, goodbye clouds, clouds! insects. The rain just heard, because the dense forest would not let us come to the floor. At times, there was nothing but green, green, green, and greener. At times there was a sun embracing, sometimes the humidity kept my glasses cloudy and sometimes everything was so fresh and so rich.

What was my most dramatic experience in this adventure? Well ... would I rode my mule on the second day of the trip, thinking What possessed me? , when I saw approached from my left to me a sheet filled with awful black spider with red. With a movement like the movie Matrix leaned to the right and managed to avoid the nasty giant arachnids. Then, with his left hand slipped off my glasses and with the back of the right hand I wiped the sweat that fell on my left eye. And it was, then, when a sheet caught between the back of my hand and my eye, so that I felt when rubbed against my skin. Moments later I started to feel hot and burning around my left eye. And the heat and burning worse. And I thought I lose the eye . There I was, two days before the nearest town in the middle of the jungle, and I was going to lose an eye. But the guide, Darwin, he said he probably would not lose the eye and I washed it with water. Well, I kept riding my mule until the discomfort disappeared. Not before I imagined as the lame pirate with eye patch Joaquin Sabina.

All in all, the feeling of joy and triumph to have got there by mule and on foot, only surpassed by the intensity of what it feels like when you are viewing La Danta pyramid, from the pyramid of El Tigre and has your feet the vast sea that is the forest green. All wrapped up in the evening light and the smell of incense.

I'm glad we went because things are going, may no longer have the Mirador for a while. Today we know that despite megalomaniac projects like Four Balam , apathy, ineptitude and the war on drugs could end the reign Kan. El Mirador, now, is in the realm of deception in which we sunk the slippers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment